Kalamazoo to host 2013 WFTDA Division 2 Playoffs Aug. 23-25
Kalamazoo, Mich. — There soon will be many ladies with bruises in Kalamazoo.
That’s because a major roller derby tournament is coming to town!
The top 20 women’s flat track roller derby leagues are rolling into Kalamazoo Aug. 23 through 25 to compete in the inaugural 2013 Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) Division 2 Playoffs at Wings Stadium.
The top teams in the tournament will move on to compete for a shot at the WFTDA Championships in November to vie for the first-ever Division 2 Championship title. Kalamazoo’s own Killamazoo Derby Darlins were selected to host one of the two WFTDA D2 Playoffs tournaments this year; Des Moines, Iowa’ is the other host city.
The WFTDA Playoffs and Championships bring together the most-talented, highly-trained and committed skaters and officials from WFTDA member leagues to display the “Real, Strong, Athletic and Revolutionary” game play that pushes the limits of the sport worldwide. Whether participating on the track, cheering in the stands or watching online, the WFTDA tournaments provide everyone who loves roller derby an opportunity to witness the most anticipated match-ups of the year.
WFTDA announced the competitors for this year’s D2 Playoffs in Kalamazoo, which includes teams ranked between 42-65 that have met minimum eligibility requirements. Teams were split between the two Playoffs brackets using “S-curve” seeding, similar to what is used for the NCAA basketball tournaments.
1. Santa Cruz Derby Girls, Santa Cruz, CA, USA
2. Sac City Rollers, Sacramento, CA, USA
3. Killamazoo Derby Darlins, Kalamazoo, MI, USA
4. Carolina Rollergirls, Raleigh, NC, USA
5. NEO Roller Derby, Akron, OH, USA
6. Queen City Roller Girls, Buffalo, NY, USA
7. Paper Valley Roller Girls, Appleton, WI, USA
8. Tri-City Roller Girls, Waterloo, ON, Canada
9. Burning River Roller Girls, Cleveland, OH, USA
10. Suburbia Roller Derby, Yonkers, NY, USA
Click here for more information about what to do in Kalamazoo!