Discover Kalamazoo is the official destination marketing organization for Kalamazoo County. We recruit meetings, events, and conferences, that create positive economic impact throughout our community. We connect planners with local businesses and provide information and resources to both visitors and residents. We find every way possible to share our love of our community and let others know why Kalamazoo is the perfect place for a unique getaway, meeting, or event. We work to share Kalamazoo with everyone, inspiring visitors and residents to discover Kalamazoo.
Discover Kalamazoo is looking for a part-time Destination Service Specialist to add to our team. The right individual will be an outstanding ambassador of Kalamazoo, and will be passionately proud of our community, exude contagious positivity, and make sure all our diverse visitors are valued and welcomed.
Position Summary: The Destination Service Specialist works under the general supervision of the Vice President of Administration and Operations to support the mission, vision, and values of Discover Kalamazoo by providing destination services to all visitors in Kalamazoo County.
Essential Functions: A qualified individual with a disability must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport
- Answer and track visitor inquiries about the Kalamazoo region and airport
- Monitor and fill inventory of publications for distribution
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Administration & Operations
- Event set-up
- Staff event information tables (community based and event based)
- Name badge and registration assistance
- Welcome bag/packet stuffing
- Publication deliveries
- Staffing of downtown visitor’s center as needed
- Other event duties as needed
- Familiarity with the Kalamazoo area, including local business owners and hospitality industry.
- Strong, clear communicator with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, prioritizes well, shows energy, responds to opportunities, instills urgency in others, and meets deadlines.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- A self-starter with excellent critical thinking ability, creative problem-solving skills, and sound judgment.
- Ability to speak and understand languages other than English.
- Frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate equipment and reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly required to lift, move, carry, pull and push files/objects up to 20 pounds while sitting, standing, climbing or walking.
- Required to regularly talk and hear.
- Required to regularly stand and walk.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly speaks clearly, using the English language.
- Frequently in the general office environment lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are normally no hazardous conditions.
- Occasionally works at large gatherings, both indoor and outdoor, exposed to numerous people, animals, vehicles, and various climate conditions.
- Exposed to temperature conditions common at the time.
- Noise level is usually moderate/conversational
- this position may be required to work early morning, late evening, and on the weekend. This position will be scheduled for no less than 20 hours per pay period.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to:
Or mail to:
240 West Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
No phone calls, please.