JOIN OUR TEAM
As the organization charged with promoting Kalamazoo County to visitors, we’re looking for people who share our love and passion for this community!
Position Summary: We are growing our marketing department and we’re looking to bring on a new team member who has a knack for creative communication and is passionate about promoting tourism for Kalamazoo County! In this role, you’ll be playing a crucial part in keeping our community informed and engaged while supporting Discover Kalamazoo’s tourism marketing efforts.
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will work under the general supervision of the Director of Marketing & Communications on many aspects of communications for our leisure marketing including community press releases, social media communications, partner newsletters, event calendars, and internal marketing requests. This role will also engage regularly with our partners to connect them with marketing opportunities and help them in utilizing the tools we have available. If you have a love for creative communications, enjoy community connection, and thrive on task lists and organization, apply today to join our marketing team at Discover Kalamazoo!
- Creating and sending out Discover Kalamazoo press releases and sending out community event press releases.
- Community management of social media channels (responding to inbox messages, monitoring comments).
- Supporting marketing events and programs including Kalamazoo Craft Beverage Week, Give a Craft Beer Trail, and marketing tradeshows.
- Sharing events on weekly local radio program.
- Maintaining and updating the Discover Kalamazoo online events calendar, sourcing community events to add, and sharing event lists with key partners.
- Creating and sending out communications to partners including email newsletters and print pieces.
- Communicating requests for partnership and working with partners on utilizing benefits.
- Updating and reordering Discover Kalamazoo marketing print materials.
- Management of team apparel orders, name badges, and business cards.
- Ability to work additional or flexible hours as necessary to support business operations and special events.
- Participates in all organizational trainings and in-service days.
- Embodies the values of Discover Kalamazoo.
- Maintains a neat, orderly, and organized work area at all times.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related discipline.
- One to three years related experience in the marketing or communications field.
- Experienced in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel and Word) and Microsoft programs including Outlook and Teams.
- Must be a creative and pro-active team member with enthusiasm for all areas of marketing and communications.
- Very strong verbal, written and oral communication skills; strong command of the English language.
- Able to respond in a timely manner to client and co-worker requests.
- Ability to organize and meet deadlines for a wide variety of requests; must be able to handle numerous projects simultaneously with strong multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Committed to accuracy, professionalism and creativity with superior organizational skills.
- Must be a self-starter, requiring minimal direction for completing assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related discipline.
- Ability to speak and understand languages other than English.
- Knowledge of the destination and surrounding area.
- Cultural, entertainment or tourism experience preferred.
- Frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate equipment, and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to talk and hear; frequently required to stand and walk.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently in the general office environment lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous conditions.
- Occasionally works at large gatherings, both indoor and outdoor, exposed to numerous people and various climate conditions.
- Exposed to temperature conditions common at the time.
- Noise level is usually moderate/conversational.
- $40,000 - $45,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
- Health/dental/vision insurance with 100% premium coverage for full-time employees. Employee has an option to pay an additional premium for partner/family where Discover Kalamazoo will cover 50% of that premium.
- 401(k) / Roth IRA.
- Life insurance, long term disability, and short-term disability.
- Paid time off starting with 19 days per year for employees with 0 – 4 years of service and paid time off for voting, working polls, and donating blood.
- Eleven paid holidays, two in-service days, and compressed work week during the summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Two weeks paid parental leave and access to MilkStork.
- Tuition reimbursement program.
- Cell phone stipend and parking permit.
Submit your resume and cover letter by Thursday, November 30 and email to email@example.com or mail to:
240 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
No phone calls please.