JOIN OUR TEAM
As the organization charged with promoting Kalamazoo County to visitors, we’re looking for people who share our love and passion for this community!
Discover Kalamazoo welcomes you to an exciting opportunity as we shape the future of our remarkable community! As the official destination marketing organization for Kalamazoo County, we are seeking a talented Sports Event Development Manager to join our team and help us drive economic growth and showcase the best of our region.
In this pivotal role, you will work closely with the Director of Business Development to support the mission of Discover Kalamazoo and Discover Kalamazoo Sports. Your primary focus will be to develop and promote sports-related events, attracting national governing bodies and sports event planners to choose Kalamazoo County as their preferred destination. By forging strong relationships with these key stakeholders, you will play a crucial role in generating visitor spending and creating positive exposure for our region.
As the Sports Event Development Manager, you will have the opportunity to support a wide range of sports and disciplines, from national championship events like junior boys' tennis and professional curling to state and regional championships like youth wrestling and synchronized skating. Additionally, you will contribute to the success of local community events such as the Zeigler Kalamazoo Marathon and youth hockey tournaments. You will also be involved in recruiting new sports events to further enhance Kalamazoo's reputation as a premier sports destination.
If you are passionate about sports, events, and driving economic impact in our community, this role is an ideal fit for you. Take this opportunity to make a meaningful impact and help shape the future of sports event tourism in Kalamazoo!
Position Summary: The Manager of Sports Event Development works under the general supervision of the Director of Sports Event Development to support the mission of Discover Kalamazoo and Discover Kalamazoo Sports through development and promotional efforts to solicit, secure, and host sports-related events to increase visitor spending and positive promotional exposure for the region.
Essential Functions: A qualified individual with a disability must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Develops and nurtures relationships with local, regional, state, and national sports event planners and organizations.
- Assists in identification of events that generate visitor spending and/or promotional exposure for the region.
- Provides evaluation of sports event successes, challenges, and financial value using key metrics and/or analytics.
- Uses CRM software, ensuring accuracy of data.
- Works collaboratively with Marketing and Communications team to provide support to sports event planners, venues, and organizations.
- Works collaboratively with Marketing and Communications team to promote sports event business.
- Supports the Michigan Sports Commission initiatives.
- Provides administrative and event support for the Discover Kalamazoo Sports Network.
- Supports 5-year sports event tourism strategic plan and is held accountable for reaching short and long terms goals, sales goals, and organizational expectations.
- Must be able and willing to travel up to 10% of the time.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, sports management, hospitality, or related fields, or equivalent education and experience.
- One (1) to three (3) or more years’ experience in a related field or industry.
- One (1) to three (3) years’ experience and knowledge of regional sports market, including potential hosting venues.
- Strong, clear communicator with excellent interpersonal skills; proven ability to effectively communicate and influence partners and all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, prioritizes well, shows energy, responds to opportunities, instills urgency in others, and meets deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office applications and ability to manage CRM software.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- A self-starter with excellent critical thinking ability, creative problem-solving skills, and sound judgment.
- Familiarity with the Kalamazoo area, including local business owners and hospitality industry.
- Ability to speak and understand languages other than English.
- Frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate equipment and reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly required to lift, move, carry, pull and push files/objects up to 20 pounds while sitting, standing, climbing or walking.
- Required to regularly talk and listen.
- Required to regularly stand and walk.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly speaks clearly, using the English language.
- Frequently in the general office environment lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are normally no hazardous conditions.
- Regularly works at large gatherings, both indoor and outdoor, exposed to numerous people, animals, vehicles, and various climate conditions.
- Exposed to temperature conditions common at the time.
- Noise level is usually moderate/conversational
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter by Friday, June 23rd to:
Or mail to:
240 West Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
No phone calls, please.
Members of discover Kalamazoo's Board of Directors also serve on the Advisory Council.
Connect With Our Team Jane Ghosh President and CEO Jennie Cook V.P. of Administration & Operations